In 1970, the church was saved from destruction by the Dunedin Historical Society by relocating it to its present location at the entrance to Hammock Park. The building was cut in half in order to move it, and restoration began in 1974. At that time, the chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The building has a charming Victorian style, and is the perfect place for that perfect wedding. Constructed of Florida heart of pine, it has 2 foyers with Gothic archways leading into the sanctuary. The nautical appearing beamed ceiling, styled like a ships hull, is completely hand carved. The pews, also hand carved, are 17 feet long and were built in the late 1800's, and the stained glass window over the pulpit is the original one.
Today, Andrews Memorial Chapel is a non-denominational historic venue that welcomes all faiths and orientations; the Chapel will be personalized for your special day!
The chapel hosts many types of events such as weddings, baby christenings or naming ceremonies, memorials, vow renewal ceremonies, concerts, garden party receptions, & celebrations of all sorts!
of the Chapel
In 1876 B M Brown (one of the original 12 Dunedin homesteaders) and the Emerson family donated land for the construction of a church. Before the building was constructed, Allan G Andrews lost his son William when he died while riding a horse in a violent storm. Mr. Andrews pledged $200 to the construction costs of the church provided that it be named Andrews Memorial Church in memory of his late son. The original site of the church is the present location of the Dunedin Cemetery.
The population shifted toward the downtown area, and in 1888 a new church was completed on the corner of Scotland Street and Highland Avenue. The name was transferred to this new church, which is their current chapel building. This is one of the oldest remaining church buildings in the area. In the early part of 1926 the Andrews Memorial Church became Andrews Memorial Chapel and was moved south on Highland Ave to make room for the present Presbyterian church.